I don’t know about you, but I HATE having to wash dishes. Especially when I’ve only really used them for one thing. I had a dishwasher my whole life (spoiled, I know) and now that I’ve moved into an apartment with my hubs I’m without one. I made this terrible mistake right before we got married where I said that I would take dish duty if he took laundry. This really is only fair since I make such a mess in the kitchen, but I never grasped just how many dishes we use every day!
This method for cutting bananas came about so I could reduce the number of dishes I make and because I was making smoothies for breakfast when I’m certainly not a morning person and I this helps me cut my bananas in a snap. Ready? Let’s roll.
1. Get your stuff together.
- Butter knife
- Bowl, blender, bag, or whatever you’re putting the banana in.
2. Pinch the “bottom” of the banana. This is the part without the stem.
You’ll like it better, I promise!
3. Pull on the bottom to peel a strip off of the banana.
You’ll want the opening of your banana to be about an inch or so wide. You may need to pull another strip if your first try only takes off a little bit of the peel.
4. Hold the banana in your non-dominant hand. With your dominant hand: grab your butter knife and make a bunch of horizontal slices about 1/4 inch thick.
5. Place the banana over the container that you’re eating from or storing it in. Grab each end of the banana with your fingers and use your thumbs to push the fruit out of the peel and into your bowl.
6. Nom nom nom!
My mom always put my bananas in milk and put sugar all over it. Not super healthy, but boy was it delicious! What’s your favorite topping for bananas? Let me know in the comments!