I had my first weekend of teaching children’s church this past Sunday. I’m really not a teacher. Like, REALLY not a teacher. But I said I would give it a shot. I was sweating like crazy and I can’t really remember anything I said now, but I did it.
One thing I learned this weekend is that kids find absolutely anything funny. Part of the script said to say things like “it was a bit of a close shave” and I’d pull out shaving cream or “he saw the light” and I pull out a candle. I thought this was going to flop, but they laughed every time. My cousin was in our church for Easter and he even told my mom that he thought I was funny!
I also learned something silly this weekend.
I was talking about how when we have Jesus in our hearts we don’t have to be scared of anything.
*Little boy’s hand shoots up.*
“I’ll answer your question at the end…anyway, we can pray that-”
*Hand shoots up again.*
“I’ll get to you in a minute, so anyway-”
And then he kept his hand up for the rest of the time until I was done. At the end, he came up and told me this story:
“I’m scared of things too sometimes. When I’m in bed sometimes I think that a giant gingerbread man is after me. He’s like, a thousand feet tall. He has huge feet and he can eat me like, NOM NOM NOM and he runs after me and chases me everywhere and…”
So what I learned this weekend: Kids are scared of weird things.
In any case, let’s talk about how to cut bell peppers!
1. Get your supplies
2. If the stem pokes out above the pepper, you’ll want to slice the stem off.
3. Place the stem-end down. Make a slice from the top to the bottom just to the side of the seed pod.
4. Cut the rest of the pepper away from the seed pod and throw the seeds away.
5. Slice each of these segments into about four strips.
If you want to eat strips, stop here.
6. To dice: Line up and stack these strips. Hold onto one end and make slices about a half inch thick moving towards your hand.
7. That’s how you get slices of pepper or diced peppers!
Now get on over to that kitchen and rock those peppers my friends!