You know that freaky long green fruit that has been catching your eye at the grocery store recently? Yep, I know you see it. That, dear, is a papaya. And I have bad news for you. You no longer have a legitimate reason to ignore it. I know it looks overwhelming and scary. I frankly don’t blame you for feeling that way, but I didn’t spend hours looking at different YouTube videos to find the best way to eat papaya just to have you back away now. So march on over to that basket of papayas and let’s give this a shot!
1. Gather your supplies.
- Chef’s Knife
- Papaya (Be brave! You can do this, Friend!)
- Cutting Board
- Bowl for scraps
- Ice Cream Scoop
2. Remove both ends so they’re flat.
3. Place the big end down on your cutting board. Use your knife to shave off the peel.
A vegetable peeler will also work just fine, but if your knife is sharp then this will feel just like slicing through warm butter. So satisfying.
4. Slice your papaya in half length-wise.
5. Good job! Next we’re going to remove those rabbit turds…I mean, papaya seeds.
6. Use your ice cream scoop to remove all of the seeds.
This is where your bowl will come in handy because if you just set these seeds off to the side they’re pretty rolly polly and will end up all over the place.
Also, the papaya can get pretty slippery so if you need to, grab it with your whole hand, place one end on the cutting board and a finger on the top to secure your grip before scooping.
7. Next, line up both of your de-seeded halves with the hollow side down on the cutting board. Steady the fruit on one side with your non-dominant hand, and start making slices from the other side.
8. Next, you can turn your cutting board 90 degrees and slice in the opposite direction to make cubes.
9. Bon Appetit!
Alright, bud! Now you have no excuse not to go out and get that freaky fruit. Grab one and enjoy!